There are many ways to reinvent things we regularly use by reusing plastic bags.
Here are some fun ways to fill the gap between reducing and recycling, by reusing plastic bags in creative ways:
- Make a bigger and more durable tote bag: Using different colored plastic bags, crochet them into a more durable and stylish bag using these easy directions.
- Braid a jump-rope. All you need is nine plastic bags, scissors, a ruler and tape to make a jump-rope that can entertain kids for hours. Get started by following these easy directions and they’ll be braiding and jumping in no time.
- Jazz up your closet by re-vamping your hangers with colorful plastic bags. Follow these directions to learn how to keep your clothes from slipping and sliding off hangers. Your organized closet will thank you.
- Create décor for your house. Looking for a rainy day activity? Crochet plastic bags. Check out the simple step-by-step directions here.
- Construct a storage basket. A lot of storage containers we already use are made out of plastic – why not reuse your plastic bags to make a new container? Find simple instructions here and turn those bags into a pretty and functional receptacle for recycling.
These are just a few creative ways to get crafty while reusing your plastic bags. Remember, all of the leftover plastic from these crafts can be recycled–just keep them all in one plastic bag, tie it up when you’re done and return it to a participating grocery store’s plastic bag recycling bin.
I’d love to hear your ideas for reusing plastic bags around the house. Please post them in the comments section.